Temporary, relocated or defunct
tower bell instruments in Germany

Some carillons and chimes in Germany were installed temporarily in expositions or fairs of various kinds.  Many of these were later reinstalled elsewhere.  Other carillons were relocated from their original places of installation for various reasons.  And some have been destroyed, stolen or otherwise lost, and were not replaced.  There are no data pages for such sites, so they cannot be indexed in the same manner as extant instruments.  Hence this page.

The lists below present, in appropriate orders, the original locations of such instruments, without distinction between traditional and non-traditional mechanisms.


EXPOSITIONS:

Carillons known to have been part of various German exhibitions or expositions are listed in approximately chronological order, with links to their current locations when known:

Bundesgartenschau 1979, Bonn, Germany
Eijsbouts supplied a lightweight 2-octave carillon for this garden show in the suburb of Bad Gadesberg, and it remained there for a short time afterwards.  In 1981 it was relocated to a different park in the same town.

So far, we have found no records of chimes being displayed at any German expositions before installation elsewhere.


RELOCATIONS:

Carillons (traditional or otherwise) which have been moved from their original city or structure of installation to another place are listed in order by the original city name, with links to their current locations when known:

Bayreuth, Germany
An automatic carillon of 25 hemispherical bells, was installed in 1971 on a gable of the old town hall.  In 2005, it was moved a few blocks to its present location on a school in the same city.

Bayreuth, Germany
A lightweight 25-bell carillon with electric action was made by Eijsbouts, presumably in the late 1900s, for an unidentified person in Bayreuth, who mounted it on a trailer.  In 2007, the bells and frame were acquired by the city of Fuerth, who installed it in the Rathaus there.

Bochum, Germany
A carillon of 42 steel bells, possibly only automatic, was installed on the headquarters building of the Thyssen-Krupp company in this city some time in the 20th century.  In 2007, the bells were taken down by that company and put into storage.  In 2011, 25 of the bells were installed in a new tower on the grounds of the company that had made them; the disposition of the other 17 bells is unknown.

Clausthal-Zellerfield, Germany
An automatic carillon of 25 steel bells, installed on the Bergakademie building in 1956, was moved in 2001 to a new tower on the campus of what is now a university.

Danzig, Germany (now Gdansk, Poland)
A carillon by Schilling of Apolda was cast in 1908 and installed in 1910 in Danzig, which was then part of Germany.  In 1942 the bells were seized for war material, but they were never melted down, and after World War II was over they were recovered near Hamburg.  28 of them were eventually install in Lübeck.

Weilbach, Germany
A lightweight automatic carillon was installed in the Rathaus in 1991.  In 2007 it was moved to a different building and given a traditional keyboard.

Weimar, Germany
An automatic carillon of porcelain bells was installed in the Belvedere in 1967, but remained there for only a few years.  It is now in the Rathaus.
Chimes which have been moved from their original city or structure of installation to another place are listed in order by the original city name, with links to their current locations when known:

Neumarkt, Germany
A small glockenspiel was installed in the Untere Markt (lower market) in 1982.  In 2002, it was removed, renovated and enlarged for installation in the Obere Markt (upper market).


DEFUNCT:

Carillons which no longer exist (and were not replaced) are listed in order by city name:

Münster, Aachen, Germany
A 32-bell carillon, cast by Goulard Fils (Malmedy) in 1857, was destroyed by war in 1917.  This site is identified in the database as
		 AACHEN - M			  : GERMANY 

Rathaus (City Hall), Allenstein, Germany (now Olsztyn, Poland)
In 1930, an unknown maker constructed a 30-bell fully-chromatic carillon with bass bell at F in the middle octave.  The bells were taken in World War II, and were not replaced.

Reformirte Parochialkirche, Berlin, Germany
A 35-bell carillon, cast by Noorden & deGrave in 1714, was destroyed by bombing in 1943 (except for 2 bells which now swing).

(Unknown), Genshagen, Germany
A carillon or chime of unknown size, cast by J.A. deGrave in 1717, was probably destroyed in World War I. 

Walther-werke, Grimma, Leipzig, Germany
A 42-bell carillon, of unknown origin, was cast in 1936 but was stolen before it was installed.

Katharinakirche, Hamburg, Germany
A carillon of unknown size was supplied by François Hemony in 1664.  It no longer exists, though it is uncertain when and how it was lost.  That is unlikely to have happened by damage to the building, because an older great bell survives.  This site is identified in the database as
		 HAMBURG - K		  : GERMANY 

St.Michaelskirche, Hamburg, Germany
A 32-bell carillon was cast by VanAerschodt (date unknown).  It was destroyed by war in 1917.  This site is identified in the database as
		 HAMBURG - STM		  : GERMANY 

St.Petrikirche, Hamburg, Germany
A carillon of unknown size was supplied by François Hemony in 1661, and was destroyed by fire in 1842.  In 1887 it was replaced with 40 bells by VanBergen; that carillon was destroyed by war in 1917.  This site is identified in the database as
		 HAMBURG - STP		  : GERMANY 

(Unknown), Kruesinsee, Germany
A 53-bell carillon was cast by Schilling in 1940 but was never delivered; its disposition is unknown, and this place has not been located.

Liebfrauenstift, Mainz, Germany
A small carillon of unknown size, cast by François Hemony in 1660, was destroyed by war in 1792.  This site is identified in the database as
		 MAINZ - LFS		  : GERMANY 

Porzelein-Fabrik, Meißen, Sachsen/Dresden, Germany
A carillon of 28 porcelain bells was set up the courtyard of the Meissen porcelain manufactory in 1938.  It later disappeared, and its actual disposition is unknown.  This site is identified in the database as
		 MEISSEN - PF/H		  : GERMANY 

Porzelein-Fabrik, Meißen, Sachsen/Dresden, Germany
A carillon of 40 or 42 porcelain bells was installed in an 11-meter tower at the workshop of the Meissen porcelain manufactory in 1960, to celebrate 250 years of Meissen porcelain.  In the 1970s, this was dismantled during a construction project, and never reinstalled; its actual disposition is unknown.  In 1985, a replacement project was considered as part of a celebration of 275 years, but it was never carried out.  This site is identified in the database as
		 MEISSEN - PF/S		  : GERMANY-DDR

Anscharkirche, Neumunster, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
A carillon of unknown origin and description was destroyed in World War II.

Druckerei Hohn, Ulm, Germany
A 23-bell carillon, of unknown origin, was destroyed in World War II.

(Unknown), Zeitz, Germany
A 28-bell carillon, cast by an unknown founder in 1934, does not survive; its disposition is unknown.

Chimes and chime-sized instruments which no longer exist (and were not replaced) are listed in order by city name:

Ev.Luth.Kirche, Spiekeroog, Nieder-Sachsen, Germany
A 9-bell chime, cast by Bachert in 1962, had disappeared by 1977.

NOTE: Sites for which no database identification is listed are the only ones in their respective cities in the database.  Thus their identification follows the standard model.


Return to Indexes to tower bell sites in Europe.


[TowerBells Home Page] [Site data top page] [Credits and Disclaimers] [Feedback]

This page was created on 2020/10/15 and last revised on 2020/10/29.

Please send comments or questions about this page to csz_stl@swbell.net.