The sites are grouped separately by foundry--first Apolda,
then the subcontractors,
and then Heidelberg.
For each foundry, the sites are listed in order by the year of casting, which may be different from the year of installation.
For an explanation of what this index contains (and does NOT contain), and of the additional details on each entry, see the Bellfoundry Indexes Advice.
LUEBECK - 1 : GERMANY-BRD 1908*F trad South tower St.Mary's Church (Marienkirche) * part cast for a site in Danzig/Gdansk
Dresden : Germany 1923 - great Kreuzkirche Meissen : Germany 1928 - great Dom (Cathedral) BUENOS AIRES - MU : ARGENTINA 1930 C non-trad Torre del Consejo Deliberante Municipio PHILADELPHIA - LHG : USA - PA 1930 F non-trad Harrison Bell Tower The Lutheran Home of Germantown (ELCA) (These bells were once part of a traditional carillon elsewhere.) MERCEDES : ARGENTINA 1931 C mech? Iglesia de los Palotinos FRANKFURT-AM-MAIN - N : GERMANY-BRD 1938 C (trad) Alte Nicolai-kirche HAMBURG-ALTONA - C : GERMANY 1938 C trad Christianskirche LOESSNITZ : GERMANY 1938 C trad Johanniskirche Erzgebirge (Evang.Luth.Kirche) KRUESINSEE : GERMANY 1940 C [trad] (Unknown)
LUEBECK - 1 : GERMANY-BRD 1954 I trad South tower St.Mary's Church (Marienkirche) WUERZBURG - STK : GERMANY-BRD 1965 F peal Dom St.Kilian SONNEBERG : GERMANY-DDR 1970 C non-trad Rathaus MAGDEBURG : GERMANY-DDR 1974 C trad Rathausturm MAGDEBURG - STM : GERMANY-DDR 1977 C peal Klosterkirche St.Marien CHEMNITZ - NR : GERMANY-DDR 1978 C trad Neues Rathaus ALTENBURG : GERMANY-DDR 1981 C trad Katholische Pfarrkirche "Erscheinung des Herrn" HALLE : GERMANY-DDR 198_ F trad/great Roter Turm (Red Tower) ERFURT : GERMANY-DDR 1987 C trad Bartholomäusturm KLAIPEDA : LITHUANIA 1987 C (trad) Central Post Office BERLIN - F : GERMANY-DDR 1987 C trad Französischer Dom (French dome) cast in part at Feingusswerk Pößneck, Neustadt a.d. Orla, and in part at Waren SCHIRGISWALDE : GERMANY 1991 C trad Katholische Pfarrkirche St.Maria Himmelfahrt THIS ATTRIBUTION MUST BE INCORRECT; PROBABLY CAST IN NEUSTADT (see below)
POTSDAM - E : GERMANY-DDR 1985 C trad Ehrenhain (Memorial Grove) Alte Friedhof ROSTOCK - U : GERMANY-DDR 1986 C trad Fünfgiebelhaus BERLIN - N : GERMANY-DDR 1987 C trad Nicolaikirche SCHWERIN - S : GERMANY-DDR 1988 C trad Schlachtermarkt WECHSELBURG : GERMANY-DDR 1988 C trad Katholische Stiftskirche APOLDA : GERMANY 1989*C chime Town house * intended for a different place
GERA : GERMANY-DDR 1989 F trad Rathausturm GERA : GERMANY-DDR 1989 E trad Rathausturm OFFENBURG : GERMANY-BRD 1989 C non-trad* Altes Rathaus MUEHLHAUSEN : GERMANY-DDR 1991 E trad Kornmarktkirche
FREIBURG : GERMANY-BRD 19?? C non-trad Ordinariat actual foundry unknown FRANKFURT-AM-MAIN - N : GERMANY-BRD 1948 F trad Alte Nicolai-kirche VILLINGEN-SCHWENNINGEN - 1 : GERMANY-BRD 1955 F peal North tower Münster Unser Lieben Frau KASSEL - K : GERMANY-BRD 1956 F trad Karlskirche (Prot.) MANNHEIM : GERMANY-BRD 1956 C non-trad Altes Rathaus / Sebastiankirche HANNOVER - A : GERMANY-BRD 1958 C non-trad Aegidien-kirche FRANKFURT-AM-MAIN - N : GERMANY-BRD 1959 I trad Alte Nicolai-kirche FREIBURG-IM-BREISGAU - M : GERMANY-BRD 1959 C peal Muenster HEPPENHEIM : GERMANY-BRD 1959 C non-trad Rathaus BONN-BEUEL : GERMANY-BRD 1960 C trad St.Josephskirche Hannover : Germany 1960 - great Marktkirche HANNOVER - H : GERMANY-BRD 1960 C trad Henrietten-Stiftung (Evang.Luth.Diakonissen Mutterhaus) HEIDELBERG : GERMANY-BRD 1961 C trad Neues Rathaus SPEYER : GERMANY-BRD 1963 E peal Imperial Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption and St.Stephen
The Apolda bellfoundry was begun in 1722 by Johann Christoph Rose, and later was operated by his close relative Martin Rose. In 1759, this foundry was taken over by members of the Ulrich family, who had been bellfounders in Laucha since 1730. The Ulrich family operated both foundries together for over a century, only separating into distinct operations in 1862. No carillons or chimes are known from this early period of its history.
In 1878, the Apolda foundry was taken over by Franz Friedrich August Schilling (1853-1926), though he seems to have made use of the Ulrich name and connection for some years thereafter. (The Laucha foundry continued to operate until 1908; it is now a bell museum.) F.F.A.Schilling retired in 1910, after which the name of the foundry was changed to reflect its management by his sons, Otto Wolfgang Schilling (1882-1962), August Heinrich Friedrich Schilling (1886-1928) and Franz August Schilling (1897-1977).
In the partition of Germany following World War II, Apolda fell into the Russian zone, which eventually became the German Democratic Republic (DDR), commonly called East Germany. In spite of the difficulties caused by the political situation, the foundry was reestablished under the management of F.A.Schilling, later joined by his son, Franz Peter Schilling (1930-2001; called Peter). In 1972, the foundry was nationalized; nevertheless, Peter and his wife, Margarete, were retained in management positions for a further four years, Peter being the plant manager. After that, Peter and Margarete were self-employed in a variety of fields.
It is not known who managed the Apolda foundry after the Schillings were ousted. It ceased operation in 1987. After the reunification of Germany, the foundry property was returned to Peter and Margarete Schilling in 1992; but they found nothing of value left there--only scrap metal and other rubbish.
The total production of the Apolda foundry during its 275+ years of operation was more than 20,000 bells. For a considerable part of that time, it was one of the largest bellfoundries (if not the largest) in Germany.
Neustadt, Waren, etc.
After Peter and Margarete Schilling could no longer use the Apolda foundry, they made use of other foundries (shown above) to cast bells.
The partition of Germany also led to the establishment of another Schilling bellfoundry, this one in Heidelberg, West Germany. It served the West German and worldwide markets, which the Apolda foundry could not then do. It was operated by Friedrich Wilhelm Schilling (1914-71), son of O.W.Schilling, from 1949 until his death. Thereafter it was called the "Heidelberg Bellfoundry," but its proprietor under that name has not yet been identified. In 1982 it was taken over by the Bachert bellfoundry.
Return to Indexes to bellfoundries.
This index page was built from the database on 02-Jul-01 and last revised on 31-Oct-23.
Please send comments or questions about this page to email@example.com.