[Boston Journal, January 7, 1895] CHIMES RANG SWEETLY Much admiration was expressed by all those fortunate enough to listen to the first peal of the chimes in the tower of The First Church of Christ, Scientist, corner of Fal- mouth and Norway Streets, dedicated yesterday. The sweet, musical tones attracted quite a throng of people, who listened with delight. The chimes were made by the United States Tubular Bell Company, of Methuen, Mass., and are something of a novelty in this country, though for some time well and favorably known in the Old Country, especially in England. They are a substitution of tubes of drawn brass for the heavy cast bells of old-fashioned chimes. They have the advantage of great economy of space, as well as of cost, a chime of fifteen bells occupying a space not more than five by eight feet. Where the old-fashioned chimes required a strong man to ring them, these can be rung from an electric keyboard, and even when rung by hand require but little muscular power to manipulate them and call forth all the purity and sweetness of their tones. The quality of tone is some- thing superb, being rich and mellow. The tubes are care- fully tuned, so that the harmony is perfect. They have all the beauties of a great cathedral chime, with infinitely less expense. There is practically no limit to the uses to which these bells may be put. They can be called into requisition in theatres, concert halls, and public buildings, as they range in all sizes, from those described down to little sets of silver bells that might be placed on a small centre table. [Reproduced on pages 61-62 of "Pulpit and Press," by Mary Baker Eddy, Boston, 1895.]
This page was created 2002/07/24 and last revised 2004/04/04.
Please send comments or questions to email@example.com