Navigation:   Tower Bells Home => Tubular Bells => defunct

Relocated or defunct tower tube instruments in North America

Some tower tube instruments have been relocated from their initial place of installation.  Others no longer exist for various reasons.  There are no site data pages for such sites, so they cannot be indexed in the same manner as extant instruments.  Hence this page.

The lists below present, in appropriate orders, the original locations of such instruments, without distinction as to size.


EXPOSITIONS:

Tower tube instruments which were originally displayed at an exposition are listed in order by city name, with links to their current locations when known:

New York, NY
At the 1939 World's Fair, Deagan exhibited a 25-note instrument with 75 tubes (3 per note).  It was intended that after the Fair it would be installed in the tower of the Stephen Foster Memorial at White Sulfur Springs, Florida.  However, World War II intervened, and the triple set was broken up for individual sale.  One set was then sold to Baylor University, Waco, Texas (see under Relocations, below); the disposition of the other two sets has not yet been discovered.


RELOCATIONS:

Tower tube instruments which have been moved from their original city of installation to another place are listed in order by city name, with links to their current locations when known:

Andalusia, AL
First Methodist Church had a 32-note Deagan instrument from 1946 until 1988.  It is now located at Rose Hills Memorial Park in Whittier, CA.

Boston, MA
First Church of Christ, Scientist, had a 15-note U.S.Tubular instrument from 1895 until 2008, though it was in storage for the last decades of that period.  It is now located at The Bell Tower (formerly the Swan Campanile) in Perth, Australia.

Camden, NJ
The Victor Talking Machine Company acquired an 18-note Deagan instrument in 1925.  It was later transferred to Moorestown, NJ.

Chicago, IL
St.Francis Xavier Catholic Church had a 32-note Deagan instrument from 1947 until 1986, when it was acquired by a private individual in Barrington Hills, IL.

Chicago, IL
The Chicago Stadium (Arena) had a 20-note Deagan instrument from 1929 until 1988.  After a period of time in storage, it found a new home in Peoria, AZ.

Chicago, IL
St.James Methodist Church had a 10-note Deagan instrument from 1926 until 1988, when it was given away for re-installation in Milwaukee, WI.

Clearwater, FL
Robert S. Brown acquired an 18-note Deagan instrument for "Century Oaks", his private estate, in 1925.  The instrument was enlarged to 25 notes in 1935, and further enlarged to 32 notes in 1940.  Some time in the 1970s it was acquired by a private individual in Spring Green, WI.

Detroit, MI
Park View Cemetery had a 10-note Deagan instrument from 1929 until 1935, when it was moved to Toledo, OH.  The cemetery may have been (and may still be) located in the suburbs, with an office in the city.

Fresno, CA
Belmont Memorial acquired an 18-note Deagan instrument in 1934.  In 1975 it was sold to an electric motor shop in the same town.

St.John's Universalist Church, Joliet, IL
A 15-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1925 has been sold and is awaiting installation elsewhere in the Chicago area.  This site is still identified in the database as
        JOLIET - STJ      : USA - IL 
but will be renamed once the relocation is officially announced.

Los Angeles High School, Los Angeles, CA
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1927 (or 1929) was removed to storage in 1971 before the building was demolished because of earthquake damage.  In 2006, it was sold, disassembled and relocated to storage in Immanuel Presbyterian Church, Los Angeles, where it will be reinstalled by 2009, the 80th anniversary of both the church and Los Angeles High School.  This site is still identified in the database as
        LOS ANGELES - HS  : USA - CA 

Milestone, SK
Holy Trinity Church had an 8-note instrument of unknown origin (though it seems reasonable to suppose that it was imported from England, where it might have been made by Harrington, Latham & Co.).  In 1987 it was reinstalled in Regina, SK.

Reading, PA
Laureldale Cemetary had a 25-note Deagan instrument from 1931 until 1999, when it was sold to St.John Cantius Catholic Church, Chicago, IL.

St.Paul's Methodist Church, Red Lion, PA
A 32-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1946 was traded in to Verdin for an electronic system in 2014.  Its ultimate disposition is not yet known.

Roslyn, Long Island, NY
Arthur Williams bought an 18-note Deagan instrument for his residence in 1926.  In 1942 it was sold by his estate, and was reintalled by Deagan in Port Washington, NY.

Sacramento, CA
First United Methodist Church had a 16-note Deagan instrument from 1946 until it was sold to a private individual in Cazadero, CA.

San Francisco, CA
Glide Memorial Methodist Church had a 10-note Deagan instrument from an unknown year until 1983, when it was sold to a private individual in Weimar, CA.

San Mateo, CA
San Mateo Union High School had a 20-note Deagan instrument from 1927 until 1939, when it was moved to a church in Burlingame, CA.

L.A.Watres residence, Scranton, PA
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1928 was located in a freestanding tower on the grounds of the Watres mansion.  The keyboard and other controls were destroyed in 1937 by a fire that consumed the house but spared the tower.  The tubes and strikers were taken down and stored until 1995, when they were remounted with a new frame in their present location at Lake Ariel, where the Watres summer residence once was.

Marvin Memorial Methodist Church, Tyler, TX
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1942 was sold about 1996 to become spare parts for the 32-note instrument acquired by Rose Hills Memorial ParkSince the Tyler instrument will not be re-installed intact, it could just as well have been classified as defunct rather than relocated.

Waco, TX
Baylor University had a 25-note Deagan instrument from 1939 until 1988, when it was was replaced by a traditional carillon.  After being stored for a few years, it was sold to the present owner and installed in Uniontown, OH.

Seventh Presbyterian Church, Walnut Hills (Cincinnati), OH
A 15-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1928 bore the name "Hollister Chimes".  It was removed after being damaged in 1970 by a fire which destroyed all but the tower of the church, and stored at the G.A.Avril Company in Cincinnati.  On closure of the church in 2010-11, the company purchased the chime; it remains in storage there.


DEFUNCT:

Tower tube instruments which no longer exist are listed in order by city name:

George Washington Masonic National Memorial, Alexandria, VA
A 20-note instrument provided by Deagan in 1930 sat in storage until the tower was completed two decades later.  In 1951 it was finally installed in the topmost level of the completed tower, but only five years later it was replaced by a 32-note Deagan Celesta-Chime, one of the early electronic systems.  This site is identified in the database as
        ALEXANDRIA - GW   : USA - VA

St.Luke's Episcopal Church, Anchorage, KY
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1941 was sold to the Verdin Company in early 2016, and may eventually be reinstalled elsewhere.

First United Methodist Church, Atlanta, TX
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1938 is presumed to have been scrapped, since the belfry which housed it has disappeared from the education building where it once stode.

Mayfair Theater, Asbury Park, NJ
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1927 is presumed to have been demolished when the building was razed for a parking lot in 1974.

St.Paul's Methodist Church, Atlantic City, NJ
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1922 is presumed to have been scrapped when the building was demolished in the late 20th century. This site is identified in the database as
        ATLANTIC CITY - STP : USA - NJ 

Atwater Congregational Church, Atwater, OH
A 20-note instrument of unknown origin was installed in 1934 as a gift of Col.Clarence Butler.  It was scrapped about 2004, in spite of the fact that this building is on the National Register of Historic Places.  Wikipedia photo

Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA
An 18-note instrument installed by Deagan in Memorial Tower in 1924 was removed in 1949; the actual disposition is unknown.

Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, Berwick, PA
A 12-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1924 is presumed to have been scrapped.  The congregation moved out of the building about 1958, and later merged with another to form the present Good Shepherd Lutheran Church.  The former building apparently has not survived.

Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Boulder, CO
A 20-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1927 was sold about 1961, and later scrapped by the buyer (a private citizen).  This site is identified in the database as
        BOULDER - SH      : USA - CO 

St.Mark's Evangelical Lutheran Church, Butler, PA
An 18-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1931 was scrapped in 1951.

First Methodist Church, Campbellsville, KY
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1922 has vanished.

Cape County Memorial Park Cemetery, Cape Girardeau, MO
An instrument of unknown size is reported to have been installed by Deagan in 1934, but no trace of it survives in the presumed location.

Chicago Auditorium, Chicago, IL
A "full set" (presumably 15 notes) from U.S.Tubular Bell Co. was installed in the 4-manual Roosevelt organ in this theatre, possibly as early as 1890.  It might have been connected to the Carillon stop on the Swell manual or to the Chimes stop on the Solo manual.  It is presumed to have been removed with the rest of the organ in 1941, when that was sold in a bankruptcy auction.  Although the organ was reinstalled elsewhere, it was largely destroyed by fire in 1961, and then replaced.  It is not known whether this chime was part of that sale and relocation.  This site is identified in the database as
        CHICAGO - CA      : USA - IL 

Chicago Methodist Temple, Chicago, IL
A two-rank 20-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1935 was scrapped in 1955.  (See a postcard picture of the building.)  This site is identified in the database as
        CHICAGO - CMT     : USA - IL 

Municipal Pier, Chicago, IL
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1932 for the Pageant of Progress Exposition no longer exists.  This site is identified in the database as
        CHICAGO - MP      : USA - IL 

North Austin Evang. Lutheran Church, Chicago, IL
An 18-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1925 has disappeared.  This site is identified in the database as
        CHICAGO - NAL     : USA - IL 

St.Malachy's Catholic Church, Chicago, IL
An 18-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1930 disappeared before 1958.  This site is identified in the database as
        CHICAGO - STMA    : USA - IL 

St.Stephen's Catholic Church, Chicago, IL
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1931 is presumed to have been demolished with the building which housed it; the parish was merged into St.John Cantius.  This site is identified in the database as
        CHICAGO - STST    : USA - IL 

Trinity Methodist Church, Clearfield, PA
A 20-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1933 was destroyed by fire in Dec.1968.

Baptist Church of the Master, Cleveland, OH
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1624 is presumed to have been demolished with the building which housed it, after the church closed in the mid-20th century.  This site is identified in the database as
        CLEVELAND - M     : USA - OH 

First Presbyterian Church, Colorado Springs, CO
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1928 is presumed to have been scrapped when the building was replaced in 1958.

Highland Park Methodist Church, Dallas, TX
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1926 was replaced by a carillon in 1985.  This site and its replacement are identified in the database as
        DALLAS - HP/1     : USA - TX 
        DALLAS - HP/2     : USA - TX 

First Presbyterian Church, Danville, IL
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1926 was scrapped about 1991.

Davenport Memorial Park, Davenport, IA
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1931 was scrapped about 1978.  This site is identified in the database as
        DAVENPORT - DMP   : USA - IA 

Palmer School of Chiropractic, Davenport, IA
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1921 was replaced in 1949 by a Deagan New World Carillon (electronic).  This site is identified in the database as
        DAVENPORT - P/2   : USA - IA 

Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church, Detroit, MI
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1928 was destroyed by fire in 1963.  This site is identified in the database as
        DETROIT - OLS     : USA - MI 

St.John's Episcopal Church, Detroit, MI
A 15-note instrument was installed by an unknown maker about 1912 as a memorial to Joseph G. Standart.  It was sold for scrap in the 1960s, and the space is now occupied by an electronic device installed in 1987.  This site is identified in the database as
        DETROIT - STJ     : USA - MI 

First United Methodist Church, East Liverpool, OH
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1922 (and incorrectly reported as 16 notes) was scrapped about 1956.

Principia College, Elsah, IL
A 10-note instrument installed in the chapel tower by Deagan in 1936 was replaced by an electronic device in 1959 (though some of its controls were later sold); that device in turn was replaced by a carillon.  This site and its eventual replacement are identified in the database as
        ELSAH - 1         : USA - IL 
        ELSAH - 2         : USA - IL 

First Presbyterian Church, Fairmont, WV
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1925 was scrapped at an unknown date.

First Congregational Church, Flushing, Long Island, NY
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1924 was destroyed by fire in 1970.

First Methodist Church, Fort Pierce, FL
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1925 was removed at an unknown date.

(unknown), Frederick, MD
A 16-note instrument reportedly installed by Deagan in 1924 cannot be found.

Glendale Presbyterian Church (was First Presbyterian Church), Glendale, CA
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1925 was scrapped after the sanctuary was destroyed by earthquake in 1971.

St.Paul Methodist Church, Goldsboro, NC
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1925 was presumably scrapped when replaced by an electronic system.  (That in turn was removed in 1982-3.)

Fountain Street Church, Grand Rapids, MI
A 14-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1923 seems to have been replaced by conventional bells in 1976.  This site and its replacement are identified in the database as
        GRAND RAPIDS - F/1  : USA - MI 
        GRAND RAPIDS - F/2  : USA - MI 

St.Mark's Lutheran Church, Grandview, IN
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1929 was destroyed by the Ohio River flood of 1937.

Greensburg Methodist Church, Greensburg, IN
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1927 was replaced with an electronic system not later than 1979.

Haddonfield Methodist Church, Haddonfield, NJ
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1938 was destroyed by fire in 1955.

Hoopeston Universalist Church, Hoopeston, IL
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1938 was unharmed by a fire which destroyed most of the building in the early 1950s; the instrument was given to the Christian Church in the same town, but then was destroyed by fire in 1955.

Second Presbyterian Church, Indianapolis, IN
A 20-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1926 was either sold or scrapped when the building was demolished in 1959, after the congregation moved to its present location to the north.

Woodlawn Memorial Park, Joliet, IL
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1931 was scrapped at an unknown date.  This site is identified in the database as
        JOLIET - W        : USA - IL 

Country Club Christian Church, Kansas City, MO
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1925 was largely scrapped by a cell phone installation crew; some components survived for re-use elsewhere.  This site is identified in the database as
        KANSAS CITY - CC  : USA - MO 

Holy Cross Catholic Church, Kansas City, MO
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1928 has disappeared, along with the tower which housed it.  This site is identified in the database as
        KANSAS CITY - HC  : USA - MO 

Longwood Gardens, Kennett Square, PA
A 25-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1930 was replaced in 1956 by an electronic device, which in turn was replaced by the present carillon.  The garden's page about the carillon includes historical photos showing the tubular chime in the tower.  This site and its eventual replacement are identified in the database as
        KENNETT SQUARE - 1  : USA - PA 
        KENNETT SQUARE - 2  : USA - PA 

Holy Cross Catholic Church, Kingsport, TN
An 18-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1948 as a war memorial was sold by the church in 2006 (though the memorial plaque was kept).  14 of the tubes have since been installed elsewhere.

Lakewood Methodist Church, Lakewood, NY
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1926 was replaced by an electronic system decades ago.

First Methodist Church, Lancaster, PA
A small instrument (probably 10 notes) was installed by Deagan in 1916 and expanded to 16 notes in 1922.  The control mechanisms are presumed to have been destroyed by fire (along with the body of the church) in 1946; the tubular bells were removed later, though the slant-legged timber rack remains in the belfry.  This site is identified in the database as
        LANCASTER - FM    : USA - PA 

Plymouth Congregational Church, Lansing, MI
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1924 was destroyed by fire in 1971.  This site is identified in the database as
        LANSING - P       : USA - MO 

Trinity Lutheran Church, Lawrence, KS
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1928 was removed in 1976 as unserviceable, and was sold in 1980.  This site is identified in the database as
        LAWRENCE - TL     : USA - KS 

Lake Placid Club, Lake Placid, NY
An instrument of unknown size was installed by Mayland some time before 1914.  Hung in the belvidere of the Forest Towers building, it was played "at 4.30 Wednesday, Friday and Sunday before Iroquois vesper music, before church Sunday morning, and during the lake-fire water curtain Friday evenings," according to the club handbook of 1914.  The club had been founded in 1895, but declined after World War II, finally closing its doors after the 1980 Winter Olympics.  The last of the buildings were demolished in January 2002, so it is most likely that this instrument was scrapped before that.

First Methodist Church, Long Beach, CA
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1926 was in a building which was replaced in 1970; the actual disposition is unknown.  This site is identified in the database as
        LONG BEACH - FM   : USA - CA 

Sunnyside Mausoleum (now Forest Lawn Long Beach), Long Beach, CA
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1926 was mostly scrapped, though some control equipment remains.  This site is identified in the database as
        LONG BEACH - SM   : USA - CA 

Angelus Temple (Church of the Foursquare Gospel), Los Angeles, CA
A 20-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1935 has mostly vanished, though the rack remains in the belfry.  This site is identified in the database as
        LOS ANGELES - AT  : USA - CA 

St.Vincent de Paul Catholic Church, Los Angeles, CA
A 25-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1947 was replaced in 1956 by a Deagan New World Carillon (electronic).  This site is identified in the database as
        LOS ANGELES - STV : USA - CA 

Columbian Mutual Tower (now Lincoln American Tower), Memphis, TN
An 18-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1924 as a memorial to World War I was donated to a scrap metal drive in World War II.  This site is identified in the database as
        MEMPHIS - CM      : USA - TN 

Methuen Memorial Music Hall, Methuen, MA
At one time, the tower of this building (constructed 1897-1909) contained an instrument of 12 tubes, which is presumed to have been made by U.S.Tubular.  There was also a tower clock striking Cambridge (Westminster) quarters.  (See also a drawing of the tower from the street side.)  The tubes were removed during World War II, either stolen for scrap or buried for safety and never recovered.  The tower clock and the bell frame have disappeared.  This site is identified in the database as
        METHUEN - MH      : USA - MA 

Searles Estate, Methuen, MA
In 1890-91, a freestanding tower on what was then the estate of Edward F. Searles (called "Pine Lodge") was equipped with a tubular chime of 15 bells.  (Previously the tower had contained a windmill.)  In 1895, the tower was replaced by one built of granite, which contained a tubular chime of larger (but unknown) size.  Both are tentatively presumed to have been made by U.S.Tubular.  The second chime, at least, chimed the Westminster quarters and struck the hour, although there was no clock face on the tower.  The tubes were removed during World War II, either stolen for scrap or buried for safety and never recovered.  This site is identified in the database as
        METHUEN - SE : USA - MA 
There may have been a second set of tubular chimes on this estate, but until more is known about it, that does not have a separate entry in the database.

St.Patrick's Catholic Church, Miami Beach, FL
A 32-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1943 was given to Verdin about 1980 "for a poor needy church up north"; the actual disposition is unknown.

St.Mary's Catholic Church, Mobile, AL
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1927 was eventually scrapped by Deagan when installing New World [electronic] Carillon.

House of God (Children's Home), Mooseheart, IL
A dual 32-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1950 was scrapped about 1970.

First Methodist Church, New Castle, PA
An 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1923, the gift of the Randolph Circle Kings Daughters, was scrapped when the building was demolished after the congregation moved to the suburbs.

St.James Episcopal Church, New London, CT
A 25-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1927 has disappeared.

Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church, New Orleans, LA
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1926 was replaced in 1953 by a conventional chime, the bells of which later disappeared.  This site and its replacement are identified in the database as
        NEW ORLEANS - SHJ/1 : USA - LA 
        NEW ORLEANS - SHJ/2 : USA - LA 

Roxy Theatre, New York, NY
A 20-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1927 was demolished with the building sometime between 1956 and 1960.  The largest tube was 21 feet long.  This site is identified in the database as
        NEW YORK - R      : USA - NY 

St.Peter's Lutheran Church, New York, NY
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1925 was initially connected to a mechanical action organ.  In 1929 it was connected to a new electric-action organ, but by 1948 it was defunct.  The building was demolished in 1977 (to be replaced by the current building), so the chime is presumed to have been scrapped then, if not earlier.  This site is identified in the database as
        NEW YORK - STPE   : USA - NY 

Grace Methodist Church, Newport News, VA
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1939 is presumed to have been scrapped about 1964 when the congregation relocated to its present building; the former building has been demolished.  This site is identified in the database as
        NEWPORT NEWS - G  : USA - VA 

The Christian Temple, Norfolk, VA
A 12-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1924 was removed at an unknown date.  This site is identified in the database as
        NORFOLK - C       : USA - NC 

Elks Hall (later the Carillon Hotel), Oakland, CA
A 20-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1927 was removed before the building was demolished in 1966; the actual disposition is unknown.  This site is identified in the database as
        OAKLAND - EH      : USA - CA 

First Methodist Church, Ocean City, NJ
An 18-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1923 was replaced by an electronic device in the late 1950s. This site is identified in the database as
        OCEAN CITY - FM   : USA - NJ 

Redemptorist Fathers Monastery, Oconomowoc, WI
An 18-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1924 was lost when the buildings were razed by a developer in the late 20th century.

Memorial Park Cemetery, Oklahoma City, OK
A 20-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1929, and previously reported to have been in "Oklahoma City Cemetery", no longer exists.  The tubular bells have been removed from the tower (though the frame remains); presumably they were scrapped.  The roll player was discarded before the mid-1990s; whether any salvageable controls remain is unknown.  The Cemetery Website has several photos and panoramas that include the tower; from these it is evident that the bell tower no longer contains any tubular bells, though it does still contain the original rack.  This site is identified in the database as
        OKLAHOMA CITY - C : USA - OK 

St.Paul's Evangelical Church (later St.Paul's UCC), Pekin, IL
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1925 is presumed to have been lost when the building was replaced in 1952.

B.P.O.E.Lodge #2, Philadelphia, PA
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1924 is presumed to have been scrapped when the building was demolished in 1992.  This site is identified in the database as
        PHILADELPHIA - E   : USA - PA 

Fletcher Methodist Church, Philadelphia, PA
A 12-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1924 was destroyed by fire in the early 1970s.  This site is identified in the database as
        PHILADELPHIA - FLM : USA - PA 

Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, Philadelphia, PA
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1929 was removed (possibly scrapped) in the 1970s.  This site is identified in the database as
        PHILADELPHIA - IC  : USA - PA 

Mount Hermon Reformed Church, Philadelphia, PA
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1921 is presumed to have been scrapped when the building was replaced with the present structure.  This site is identified in the database as
        PHILADELPHIA - MH  : USA - PA 

Church of the Transfiguration of Our Lord, Philadelphia, PA
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1928 was lost to theft and vandalism after this Catholic church was closed in 2000.  This site is identified in the database as
        PHILADELPHIA - TR  : USA - PA 

Pilgrim Evangelical Church, Pittsburgh, PA
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1926 is presumed to have been lost when the building was demolished in the path of a new expressway.  This site is identified in the database as
        PITTSBURGH - P    : USA - PA 

Indiana Boy's School (later Plainfield Juvenile Correctional Facility), Plainfield, IN
A 12-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1927-28 was taken down in 1975, and later disappeared from storage.

Pilgrim Congregational Church, Pomona, CA
A 14-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1926 was removed about 1985; some equipment remains.

Edenton Street Methodist Church, Raleigh, NC
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1924 was destroyed by fire in 1956.  This site is identified in the database as
        RALEIGH - E       : USA - NC 

First Methodist Church, Redlands, CA
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1925 was destroyed by fire in 1967.

Grace Methodist Church, Rochester, IN
A 12-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1922 was removed in 1969 when the building was remodelled by removal of its dome; the actual disposition is unknown.

Lake Avenue Baptist Church, Rochester, NY
An 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1921 was destroyed by fire in 1972. This site is identified in the database as
        ROCHESTER - LA    : USA - NY 

Winthrop University, Rock Hill, SC
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1925 in Tillman Hall was replaced in the late 1970s by an electronic system.  See also here.

Court Street Methodist Church, Rockford, IL
An 18-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1927 was mostly scrapped in 1969.  Surviving power and control equipment was later salvaged by Top Rung Tower Chime Service and Williamson-Warne & Associates.  This site is identified in the database as
        ROCKFORD - C      : USA - IL 

St.Peter & Paul's Church, San Francisco, CA
A 20-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1927 was destroyed by fire in 1956.  This site is identified in the database as
        SAN FRANCISCO - STPP : USA - CA 

First Presbyterian Church, Santa Monica, CA
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1924 did not survive the church's move to a new location c.1980; the old building was demolished, and the church has no record of what happened to the chime.  This site is identified in the database as
        SANTA MONICA - FP : USA - CA 

First Congregational Church, Southington, CT
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1924 was scrapped in 1983.

St.Joseph's Catholic Church, Springfield, MO
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1925 was removed many years ago.  This site is identified in the database as
        SPRINGFIELD - STJ : USA - MO 

Chimes Building, Syracuse, NY
An 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1928 was removed some time after World War II.  This site is identified in the database as
        ROCHESTER - LA    : USA - NY 

Indiana State Normal School (later Indiana State Teachers College, now Indiana State University), Terre Haute, IN
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1927 in Old Main Hall was equipped with a special chiming device to play "On the Banks of the Wabash".  When the building was demolished in 1950, it is recorded that students were involved in "carrying out the valuable chimes from the tower", but the system was never re-installed and is presumed to have been scrapped.

Assumption Catholic Church, Topeka, KS
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1926 was sold to the Top Rung Tower Chime Service, and may eventually find a new home elsewhere.  This site is identified in the database as
        TOPEKA - A        : USA - KS 

University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
An 18-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1929 in a free-standing tower was the first to bear the name "The Denny Chimes."  It was replaced about 1965 by an electronic device, which in turn was replaced by the present non-traditional carillon.  This site and its eventual replacement are identified in the database as
        TUSCALOOSA - UA/1   : USA - AL 
        TUSCALOOSA - UA/2   : USA - AL 

Christ Episcopal Church, Warren, OH
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1925 is thought to be defunct, though the evidence is uncertain.

First Methodist Church, Waseca, MN
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1923 was scrapped when the building was converted to a county historical museum--an ironically ignominious fate.

All Souls Memorial Episcopal Church, Washington, DC
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1922 went out of use many decades ago, and no evidence of the controls remained by 2003.  In 2006, the frame, tubular bells and strikers were taken in trade by Meeks, Watson & Co., who supplied a peal of three conventional bells.

St.Mark's Evangelical Lutheran Church, Wheeling, WV
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1940 (with provisions for eventual expansion to 20 notes) was taken down and sold about 1990; its destination is unknown.

Mifflin Avenue United Methodist Church, Wilkinsburg, PA
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1924 was replaced by an electronic device c.2005, and is presumed to have been scrapped.

Asbury College, Wilmore, KY
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1927 was scrapped in 1955.

St.Stephen's Broadway Church, Winnipeg, MB
A 10-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1928 was destroyed by arson (along with the building which contained it) in March 1968.

Central Presbyterian Church, Zanesville, OH
A 12-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1922 was replaced by an electronic system in 1955.  The timber frame remains in the belfry, but the tubes and controls have disappeared.  This site is identified in the database as
        ZANESVILLE - C    : USA - OH 

Forest Avenue Presbyterian Church, Zanesville, OH
A 16-note instrument installed by Deagan in 1922 is presumed to have been scrapped when the building was demolished, in conjunction with sale of the property to Genesis Health Care.  This site is identified in the database as
        ZANESVILLE - FA   : USA - OH 

NOTE: Defunct sites for which no database identification is listed are the only ones in their respective cities in the database that supports this Website, and formerly also supported the GCNA Website.  Thus their identification follows the standard model.


This page was created 2004/04/26 and last revised 2016/07/03.

[TowerBells Home Page] [Site data top page] [Credits and Disclaimers] [Feedback]

Please send comments or questions to csz_stl@swbell.net