Navigation: TowerBells Home
=> Unrelated Essays
Opportunities for Philanthropy
If you've recently won a big lottery, or otherwise have wealth to give away,
here are some ways to put that money to good use in the world of bells,
brightening the auditory environment for everyone nearby.
Projects listed in geographic regions are associated with existing tower bell installations,
and are linked to the relevant site data page on this Website.
Projects listed in the General category are less well defined,
and will require more investigation on your part.
- North America
- Fund the design and installation of a single-passenger elevator
for Crean Tower, Christ Cathedral
(formerly The Crystal Cathedral),
without significantly marring the integrity of the tower design.
- Fund the addition of an elevator to the World War II Memorial Tower
at the University of Kansas.
The northeast corner of the tower holds an empty elevator shaft.
- Fund the completion of the expansion of the chime to a carillon at
B.M.C.Durfee High School, Fall River, MA,
as well as training for a music teacher there.
- Fund the design and construction of a tower for the chime formerly in
St.Lawrence Martyr RC Church, New Bedford, MA,
and for installation of the stored bells in it.
- Fund the design and construction of a keyboard and transmission for the chime in
Arlintgon Street Church, Boston, MA.
- Fund the restoration of traditional action (possibly including a new
baton keyboard) for any of the several
- Fund the complete cataloging of the Meneely/Watervliet papers that are
held in the New York State Archives in Albany, with special attention to
compiling an index of bells produced.
- Fund the transcription of the McShane foundry records held in a library
somewhere in Baltimore, Maryland.
- South America
- Africa and the Middle East
- Asia and the Pacific rim
- Find an empty bell tower in your home town,
or in a place you love to visit,
and fill it with an appropriate set of bells.
- Find a carillon, chime, peal or single bell that needs to be restored,
and fund that work with a reputable company.
- Fund the exploration of existing bell towers in a town, city or county
of your choice, to build an inventory of surviving bells
(and associated tower clocks when present).
If you have an idea for a project that could be added to this list,
please write using the email link below.
This page was created 2014/03/05 and last revised 2020/11/20.
[TowerBells Home Page]
[Tower Bells Introduction]
Please send comments or questions about this page to