The Class of 1892 Bells
Grover Cleveland Tower Graduate College Princeton University 88 College Road West Princeton, New Jersey, USA LL: N 40.34056, W 74.66449
Lisa J. Lonie (C) 1391 Walton Road Blue Bell, PA 19422-2138 H: (215)283-3223 W: (215)780-1280 F: (215)780-1289 E: LLonie@hotmail.com*Past carillonists:
1927-40 (None appointed) 1941-67 Arthur Lynds Bigelow (1909-67) 1967-77 (none appointed) 1977-93 Walter L. Nollner (1922-2000) 1993-2012 R. Robin Austin (C)
Penna Rose Director of Chapel Music Princeton University Princeton, NJ 08544-1098 T: (609)258-3654 E: email@example.com
Sundays 1300-1345 except during PhD exam periods in Jan, May, Oct.; summer series 1 pm Sundays, late June through August (guests)
Originally played rarely by guests, and daily by an electro-pneumatic roll player, which was dead by 1941. Console of 1966: - Y 74:GA/GC29 was made by Prof.Arthur Bigelow (and students); trebles added in 1966 (by Bigelow & students) and 1968 (by ?) were all cast for it in 1965; it was intended for 70 bells, but 3 smallest trebles disappeared before 1968; this console is now in Verdin museum in Cincinnati. Next renovation completed 1993, included new clappers, trans- mission, headpieces, frame, cabin, playing and practice keyboards, with transposition altered to concert pitch; the top semitone was removed to the University archives; new P&F bass cast to G&J heavy profile. Practice keyboard in basement of a residence hall.
Traditional carillon of 67 bells Pitch of heaviest bell is G in the bass octave Transposition is nil (concert pitch) Keyboard range: G D / G C 29 There is one missing bass semitone There is an identical practice console 1 bells were recast or replaced in 1993 by Petit & Fritsen Prior history: In 1968, the instrument was enlarged to 67 bells by Paccard (8 bells remain from that work.) In 1966, the instrument was enlarged to 58 bells by Paccard (30 bells were added in and/or remain from that work.) In 1943, the instrument was enlarged to 49 bells by Bigelow (0 bells remain from that work.) In 1927, the instrument was begun with 35 bells by Gillett & Johnston (28 bells remain from that work.) No auxiliary mechanisms known Tower details not available Year of latest technical information source is 1994
This page was built from the database on 15-Oct-10 based on textual data last updated on 2020/06/05 and on technical data last updated on 2020/10/10
Explanations of page format and keyboard range are available.
[TowerBells Home Page] [Site data top page] [Credits and Disclaimers] [Feedback]
Please send comments or questions about this page to firstname.lastname@example.org.